We think its finally safe to post some summer energy saving tips! Year round we aim to stay comfortable while keeping our energy bills reasonable. For many households in Minnesota, electricity bills go up in the summer due to air conditioning. The tips below can help you find the right balance to save energy while staying comfortable and healthy.
- Keep the hot sun from heating up your home by closing curtains and blinds.
- Open windows in the early morning and evening to allow cool air to flow in.
- Adjust your air conditioning. The Department of Energy recommends setting the temperature at 78 degrees. This allows you to be energy efficient and still comfortable. If 78 degrees feels too warm, adjust it downward a degree or two at a time until you find a comfortable setting.
- Use a programmable thermostat to control when your air conditioning turns on and off during the day.
- Take advantage of saver programs offered by your local utility that provide a discount for allowing your utility to cycle your air conditioner on and off during peak energy times.
- Use fans instead of, or with, air conditioners. Fans can make the room feel 4 degrees cooler. The fans make you feel cooler, but they don’t actually cool the air, so turn them off when you leave the room.
- Remove obstacles from air vents and fans to ensure proper air flow throughout your home.
- Avoid placing lamps or TVs near thermostat. Thermostats can detect heat from these appliances and can cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary.
- Use bathroom fans to suck out heat and humidity from bathrooms.
- Avoid cooking, baking, and running appliances, such as a clothes dryer, that generate heat during the warmest parts of the day. It’s a great excuse to do some outdoor cooking and put off some of those household duties!
- If you need to replace your air conditioner, look for an Energy Star rated model- it will use less energy and save you money in the long run. You may also qualify for a rebate from your utility.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?