Published February 13, 2023
CUB is seeking a motivated intern to support our outreach program. The intern will support CUB’s outreach events and help people understand their electric and gas bills, how to reduce energy waste and save money, their options for renewable energy, and potential steps for home decarbonization/electrification.
This is a great opportunity for someone interested in a career in energy, environmental issues, and/or consumer advocacy. The intern will be encouraged to build their professional experience and network as a part of the internship, and CUB’s staff will make introductions to professionals in areas of the intern’s interest.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide support to, prepare for, staff, and follow up on CUB’s outreach events (expected to be primarily in-person with some remote events).
- Assist the Outreach Director with special projects. Examples include attending meetings with partner organizations and providing note-taking support, conducting research on consumer-related energy issues, and writing blogs on energy topics for CUB’s website and newsletter.
- Additional tasks to support CUB’s outreach program efforts.
- Interest in energy, environmental policy, and/or consumer advocacy
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail oriented
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with staff
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including being comfortable interacting directly with the public
- Ability to work effectively in a remote capacity. (CUB can provide a laptop.)
Details and compensation
This is a part-time internship: Approximately 20 hours per week from June through August and 10 hours a week from September through December. The exact dates of the summer/fall internship will be determined depending on the candidate’s availability. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
The internship is compensated at $17 per hour. CUB provides a cell phone stipend, a transportation stipend to help with costs associated with traveling to the office and reimbursement for travel and other expenses.
The intern will be working in a hybrid environment. Currently, staff mainly works remotely, and works from CUB’s St. Paul office approximately one day a week. When in-person outreach events are held, the intern will need to be able to travel to events around the Twin Cities metropolitan area, including the suburbs.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The initial review of applications will begin on March 15.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Carmen Carruthers, Outreach Director, email@example.com.