Published April 25, 2023
About the Citizens Utility Board of Minnesota
The Citizens Utility Board of Minnesota (CUB) is a nonprofit advocate for our state’s utility consumers. We advocate for affordable utility service, consumer protections, and clean energy.
CUB aims to be a voice for Minnesotans at the state Public Utilities Commission and the legislature. We work for a rapid, cost-effective transition to clean energy that benefits the public – including communities that have long borne the negative impacts of our energy systems. We fight for affordable rates and stand up to utility companies and their shareholders.
CUB is also a resource for Minnesota consumers. Our expert staff advises hundreds of Minnesotans each year on their rights, resources, and responsibilities to avoid utility shutoffs or get service reconnected. CUB consultations help people reduce home energy expenses, figure out the best options for renewable energy, and provide answers to home energy-related questions. We share information and resources in partnership with communities and organizations throughout the state.
CUB’s role as a consumer advocate drives us to address historic and persistent inequities in energy systems. We seek to align power and resources equitably both within our organization and externally in the systems in which we advocate.
CUB seeks a creative, strategic, and detail-oriented individual to support our consumer outreach programming, communications, and database management. We are hiring for one position, which will be classified as either an Outreach and Communications Coordinator or Outreach and Communications Manager depending on experience level.
The Outreach and Communications Coordinator/Manager will be in the field with CUB’s consumer outreach team, will connect with CUB’s supporters through online communications channels, and will be responsible for much of what happens behind-the-scenes to make CUB’s programming and advocacy strong. This position will collaborate with community partners on efforts to promote energy justice and improve equity in energy efficiency and utility programs; create and deliver workshops on converting homes to clean electricity; create outreach tools such as flyers, brochures, videos, displays, interpretive signs, and hands-on activities, and much more. The individual will have the opportunity to collaborate with a wide range of individuals and organizations in the Twin Cities and around Minnesota.
This is an excellent position for someone with one to five years of experience who is excited to help Minnesotans with energy-related questions and concerns, advance clean energy, help consumers fight for their rights, and support an impactful and growing organization.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Support and staff consumer outreach programming.
- Represent CUB to the public.
- Provide individualized consultations to consumers regarding their electric and natural gas service over the phone, in person, and via Facebook Messenger.
- Work with the Outreach Director to create workshops, presentations, and other programming.
- Give group presentations and help facilitate meetings in public venues, with community organizations and congregations, and in many other settings.
- Staff CUB’s table at public events.
- Manage pre-registration, event set-up, and other logistics.
- Follow up promptly with attendees after events.
- Carry out online communications.
- Maintain and update CUB’s website. Coordinate blog publication schedule among staff, author blogs, create event webpages, maintain resource library, design homepage graphics, and generally keep the site up to date. Develop and execute strategies to improve the site and visitor engagement.
- Engage and grow CUB’s following on social media channels. Manage occasional Facebook ad campaigns.
- Coordinate content for and send email newsletters and other email communications to CUB’s network.
- Create engaging and professional video and graphic designs.
- Help to design CUB materials, such as our website, PowerPoint presentations, and printed resources.
- Create occasional informative videos, including Instagram reels and longer YouTube content.
- Manage CUB’s supporter and contact database.
- Enter data and maintain database to track donations, support, and other interactions with individuals and organizations.
- Prepare and send thank-you notes, donation requests, and other communications to supporters.
- Coordinate CUB’s end-of-year giving appeal.
- Generate monthly donor reports from NationBuilder (CUB’s CRM) and PayPal.
- Maintain behind-the-scenes metrics and documents.
- Record outreach program metrics and impact.
- Maintain metrics of CUB’s media mentions.
- Maintain staff manuals for the website, database, events, and other procedures.
- Represent CUB in external stakeholder and advisory committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- A creative and strategic mind.
- Strong attention to detail.
- The ability to meet deadlines while managing numerous projects.
- Professionalism and ability to represent CUB in public forums.
- Self-directed, with flexibility to thrive in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to connect with and develop content for a wide array of people, and to tailor approaches for specific audiences.
- Excellent computer skills.
- An interest and ability to learn new skills and content quickly.
- At least 1 year of experience with similar responsibilities to qualify as a Coordinator. At least 3 years of comparable experience to qualify as a Manager.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel to outreach events, and the ability to work some evening and weekend hours.
- Experience in outreach/customer service, database management, and/or communications.
- Basic HTML skills.
- Basic video editing and design skills. (CUB typically designs in Canva.)
- Familiarity with social media.
Individuals from communities traditionally underrepresented in utility advocacy are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. The salary range for the Outreach and Communications Coordinator is $40,000-$48,000. The salary range for the Outreach and Communications Manager is $48,000-$60,000. In addition, CUB provides an excellent benefit package, including:
- Medical and dental insurance. CUB covers 90% of employees’ premiums in 2023.
- Life and short- and long-term disability insurance. CUB covers 100% of employees’ premiums in 2023.
- Paid sick and vacation leave, 10 paid holidays per year, paid parental leave, and more.
- 3% matching retirement contribution.
- Monthly stipends for transportation and cell phone expenses.
The position is based in CUB’s downtown St. Paul office but is a hybrid remote position.
Send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this position and why you think it would be a good fit to Annie Levenson-Falk, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed beginning on May 10.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?